Thursday, March 20, 2008

Stippled



My aunt, in the form of DCPeg paid me a marvelous compliment today. She called me an inspiration. I guess we're caught in a little love loop, then, because she's an inspiration to me too. Give her blog a read, and you'll see the reasons why.

Today, she mentioned that she defaults into a comfort zone of drawing. It's the mindless drawing that we do—no over planning goes into it, and there aren't any first sketches that get refined and then penned. It's the stuff that comes out whenever we mindlessly put pen or pencil to paper. This is stippling for me. I could stipple for hours, which is a good thing since it takes hours to create something recognizable using the method.

A pencil sketch is a good place to return to if you want something after the first step, stippling is a good place to return if you want to leave your brain in neutral.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice piece (though I'm confused... did you censor it with a grey square?). I once stippled myself nearly crazy, so I avoid stippling at all costs... but glad it works so well for you!

Nan said...

Yep, I censored the stuff under the grey. It was something I'd done on the page first, and it was not wonderful.

I could see how stippling might drive a person crazy. :-D

suzanne cabrera said...

I love the effects of stippling, but never have the patience for it. It's very nice that this is your default drawing style as you're sure to produce some very nice things without even giving it much thought...

Alan said...

looks fun and simple (uncluttered)

dcpeg said...

Aw shucks . . . You ARE my inspiration in so many ways. Having said that, if anyone takes you up on visiting my blog, perhaps I should have waited to post my latest. . . ain't nothin' 'bout ;-O

dcpeg said...

oops -- meant to say "ain't nothin' 'bout ART . . .

By the way, like the stippling thing. Reminded me of drawing grass when I did arch. renderings. Tedious, but cool.