Saturday, June 21, 2008

The Dregs

Woefully behind on so many parts of my life at the moment, but ahead of the game on the parts that put bread on the table, so I can't complain/apologize/agonize too much.



I couldn't tell you exactly the day or hour I drew this gentleman, but I could tell you the morning light was warm coming in from the left side of the train. I could tell you there was something about him that reminded me very much of my maternal grandfather. I could tell you that he really wasn't as old as he ended up in the drawing—less is more, and my pencil got away from me, so he ended up looking older than he should.



Ah doodles...who doesn't love a good doodle session. On the train again, and you might not believe it but those two heavy black dots were a couple of puddles. It had rained that day, and the pavement was drying. The squiggly line is the border between the wet and dry pavement and there were these two puddles, you see. Speaking of seeing, the knot in a particular piece of wood ended up as an eye. Need I go on? It's a doodle. It's the stream of consciousness of the artist. I couldn't tell you when they were put on paper, but I remember each moment they were put there because of the poignancy of the moment.



An Illo Friday gone to neglect. It seemed like the idea at the time, but is a bit macabre upon review. Still true though, just because it's a bit dark doesn't make it any less true. You know that moment of anxiety, when you look yourself in the mirror and have to shock yourself into a different frame of mind with the cold dash. This is that, just the nth degree.

Anyhoo, this is kind of the dregs of what has been coming out of the pencil and pen lately (not that there is a lot more), but there is something coming. Don't get you hopes up, but it'll be a little different.

Thanks for stopping by!

3 comments:

dcpeg said...

Glad to see you back. EVen your doodles are getting more interesting! They prove you're minde's eye is looking and SEEING.

Anetka said...

nice sketches!
glad to see you back:)

Timaree said...

That's a great sketch of the man. Perhaps he ended up older looking because you were thinking of your grandfather. Subconscious happenings as it were.